of the gaycentric perspective.



PLEASE READ: support Kevin


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



We create our existence. We nurture and cultivate our environment. We surround ourselves with love and laughter. With joy. There are times when we must step outside of our circle and face the lives of others. And as wonderful and brilliant as that can be, there are other times when the love we carry inside of us goes missunderstood. I'm sure most have heard by now of the horrendous assault that occured in New York's East Village late Saturday night.

Gay icon and club impresario Kevin Aviance was left for dead after being assaulted by six to seven teens. Aviance spoke with the New York Post on Sunday. “They kicked me in my back. They kicked in my knees. They just kept kicking. They kept yelling ‘fucking faggot!' I thought I would be dead. I really thought they were going to kill me.”

Given this crime occured in the midst of Pride celebrations across the country, one is left to question our safety. As far as we feel we have come as gay men and women, we stumble each time a situation, like the one involving Kevin, occurs. It is during this time of celebrating our pride that we recognize our progress, but also the obstacles we need to overcome.

And of course during these moments of progress we simply need to be entertained. Pride parades across the country feature performers like Kevin. Many of whom actually make their living entertaining us; making us laugh, sing and find the pride inside of us.

Ari Gold reaches out in light of Kevin's assault and reminds us that Kevin is indeed a working performer now left without a gig or two 'till he heals. The singers' jaw is wired shut due to the beating.

With this in mind, please support Kevin. Buy his music. Talk about him on your blog. To your friends. Watch a video or two. Popmuse has "Rhythm is My Bitch." Remind yourself what a brilliant performer Kevin is. I've had the pleasure of meeting him in the past and he is perhaps the sweetest and most unassuming person. In heels.

Buy Kevin at iTunes: "Give it Up". Even if you own it, buy it again. It's that good!



Kevin's 2002's "Alive" resonates now more than ever:



1 Responses to “PLEASE READ: support Kevin”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    beautifully written post. gay pride month? I'm calling it Hetero Shame Month.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • midnight lounge
  • Rochester, New York, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives



Blogads Gossip

Blogads Gossip

I'm a C-list Blogebrity