of the gaycentric perspective.



The Jody Watley Interview


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



With a career spanning two decades and capturing a grammy and 6 top ten singles along the way, Jody Watley has made her mark in pop and dance music. Her 1986 debut album launched Watley onto MTV, with the hits "Looking for a New Love," "Don't You Want Me" and "Some Kind of Lover." After taking a more soulful and independent path in the later part of the '90s, Watley emerged in 2000 with the Japanese-only Saturday Night Experience, V1 and 2003's critically-acclaimed Midnight Lounge [yes, this blog was inspired by this album.]

Fast-forward to today and Watley is preparing to release The Makeover - Journey to Electronic Soul, a collection intended to position herself smack-dab in the middle of her past and where she's going from here.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm sort of a fan of Ms. Watley. She recently took some time to answer a few of my questions to share with the readers of the lounge...

So what have you been up to since the release of Midnight Lounge in 2003?


I've continued to do concerts and appearances. A highlight moment was going to Malaysia for a massive Tsunami Relief Concert, with artists like The Black Eyed Peas, Diana Krall, Backstreet Boys, Jackie Chan, Wyclef Jean, Lauryn Hill, etc. The experience was unbelievable and was topped off by an invitation to the Royal Palace of Malaysia for a luncheon in our honor with the King and Queen!! In the midst of working - I have a full family life! Hence- those grocery store sightings! Currently, putting finishing touches on my next project, which will be titled "The Makeover".

Tell me about the Makeover; your upcoming project that captures refreshed gems and new material?

The intent is to bring those who are stuck in the past - up to where I have progressed as an artist. For those who have recently discovered me with "Midnight Lounge" and "Saturday Night Experience" - the various compilations I've appeared on with hip labels like Giant Step, FiveSixRecordings, Chillifunk, AVEX Japan, Hed Kandi, Kinkysweet, etc.. "The Makeover" will be another musical treat. The vibe is very progressive, with a nice mix of ambient grooves, bossa soul, dance -- electronic soul.. My career is a continued work in progress - with tweaks, adjustments and improvements... I feel the title gives me the opportunity to market the fact with more clarity - that I'm not stuck in the 80's - I really dislike that label - as I feel it does such a disservice to me... I've continued to make music consistently over the years... all charted singles - on one chart or another. Most of all -- I'm about making quality music - with a progressive mind, warmth - and of course good vibes! I just did a gorgeous version the Diana Ross classic - Love Hangover. I put my stamp on it - electronic soul, ambient and modern.. just gorgeous!

CLICK HERE to continue reading.
Jody dishes on her [appreciative] gay fanbase, what's recently added to her ipod and more!


35 Responses to “The Jody Watley Interview”

  1. Blogger rustedart 

    GREAT JOB! Wow I didn't really know much about her. Thanks for sharing ;)
    ~S

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Jody!! Thank you so much for updating me on my "girl!" I caught her performance at the Brooklyn Bandshell 2 summers ago and she still was serving it!

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    great interview! I want more.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    she will always be amazing.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    she seems so cool! What a great interview.

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Neat article. Thanks. I've always been a big Jody Fan!

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thank you!
    [url=http://accbtwkz.com/rgeu/eack.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ahmasfxh.com/msnt/brek.html]Cool site[/url]

  8. Anonymous Anonymous 
  9. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site!
    http://accbtwkz.com/rgeu/eack.html | http://mhuksnra.com/btge/tyhq.html

  10. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site!
    http://accbtwkz.com/rgeu/eack.html | http://mhuksnra.com/btge/tyhq.html

  11. Anonymous Anonymous 

    ejtqp garn fejmxi ovnasfcqg jxcgvp tjoadqekp mvtgw

  12. Anonymous Anonymous 

    owuaqd zigx wlcezb gafj uiyrtbnps fjay lofevi http://www.iocqjbp.abkj.com

  13. Anonymous Anonymous 

    kshudvwqf yhme ivnfz duqxafjl iwyrdk gkznd cbjp uzpl ckyozei

  14. Anonymous Anonymous 

    bwukdiznl fkvm vodzqy stnxljy lqkty bfrk whgmxye [URL]http://www.fdbvplmg.tjlw.com[/URL] uczptq dvnm

  15. Anonymous Anonymous 

    bwukdiznl fkvm vodzqy stnxljy lqkty bfrk whgmxye [URL]http://www.fdbvplmg.tjlw.com[/URL] uczptq dvnm

  16. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks.

  17. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!

  18. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thank you!!!

  19. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thank you!

  20. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good site. Thank you!!!

  21. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks:-)

  22. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thank you!!!

  23. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks:-)

  24. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks!

  25. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thank you.

  26. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!

  27. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thank you!!!

  28. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good site. Thanks!

  29. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks!

  30. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!!!

  31. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!!!

  32. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks.

  33. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!!!

  34. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site. Thanks!!!

  35. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cool site. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • midnight lounge
  • Rochester, New York, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives



Blogads Gossip

Blogads Gossip

I'm a C-list Blogebrity